John DeCosmo, DO has been in practice in Saint Petersburg, Florida since 1988. Dr. DeCosmo has always followed the ideal of treating the patient the way you would want yourself or a close family member treated. He has treated his patients like this and his only concern during the office visit is the patient and the issues that pertain to their health. This has manifest as better patient satisfaction, patients feeling that their story has been heard, and a strong sense of a team approach. Dr. DeCosmo is very attentive to the wishes, beliefs, and preferences of his patients and encourages the input of the patient in the decision making process.
As a matter of fact, one dictum in Functional Medicine is to look for the “root cause” of a medical problem. Finding the root cause allows treatment to be guided to the source of the problem and not to just put a “band aid” on the downstream manifestations of an illness. Many issues just go away instead of having to add prescription after prescription to cover or try to control the issue. This is a very satisfying approach for both doctor and patient and is very empowering for the patient.
- Graduated St Petersburg High School
- Graduated Eckerd College, Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry
- NOVA-Southeastern University, Doctorate of Osteopathy
- Metropolitan General Hospital, Rotating Osteopathic Internship
- Institute for Functional Medicine, Training for Certification in Functional Medicine
- Board Certified in Osteopathic Family Practice by the American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians
- Eligible for Certification in Functional Medicine by the Institute for Functional Medicine
- American Osteopathic Association
- American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians
- Florida Osteopathic Medical Association
- Pinellas County Osteopathic Medical Society
- Member of the Institute for Functional Medicine
- Diplomat of the National Board of Osteopathic Medical Examiners
- Currently Licensed in the State of Florida
- Board Certified in Osteopathic Family Practice
- NOVA-Southeastern University – Adjunct Clinical Professor
- Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences – Adjunct Clinical Professor
- Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine – Adjunct Clinical Professor
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Bradenton Campus – Adjunct Clinical Professor
Hospital Staff Privileges:
- St. Petersburg General Hospital – St. Petersburg, FL
- Northside Hospital and Heart Institute -St. Petersburg, FL
- St. Anthony’s Hospital – St. Petersburg, FL
- Largo Medical Center – Largo, FL
One of Dr. DeCosmo’s favorite pastimes is “unprescribing medicines.” We all know that doctors, in general, are good at prescribing medicines but, yes, Dr. DeCosmo is also very good at unprescribing as well. With many of his treatment programs, the need for the medicine just goes away and the medicine can safely be weaned or just stopped. There are also many supplements, herbs, and vitamins that can safely be substituted for the more potentially toxic medicines.
Regarding his practice of unprescribing medicines, Dr. DeCosmo has been known to say, “I have yet to meet a patient that has more money than the drug companies!” It sounds a little “Robin Hood like” but it works for him and his patients. For Dr. DeCosmo, the satisfaction lies in keeping the money in the patient’s pocket and averting exposure to medication dependence and medication side effects.